Platon Rivellis to head Selection Committee for AIPF 2018
The celebrated Greek photographer, teacher and writer Platon Rivellis is to join four other members of the AIPF Selection Committee in selecting 15 photographers for the 2018 Antiparos International Photo Festival. The Selection Committee is as follows:
• Platon Rivellis, the highly respected Greek photographer, author and teacher
• Letícia Zica, a young, talented Brazilian photographer who has twice featured in the AIPF
• Toralf Sandåker, Norwegian photography journalist, technical editor of Fotografi magazine
• Konstantinos Floros, Greek photography journalist, Director of Nexus Publications SA
• David Frazer Wray, Artistic Director at the Antiparos International Photo Festival
Arguably the doyen of Greek photography, Platon Rivellis was born in Athens in 1945. He studied Law in Athens (1963-1968), political sciences in Paris (1968-1970) and photography in the U.S.A (1983). Since 1981, he has given more than 400 seminars and lectures throughout Greece and Cyprus on photography and the cinema. He has taught photography since 1981 in private groups (1981-1987 at Studio Quark, 1988-2002 at the Photography Circle, and from 2003 until the present day at the Benaki Museum). From 1984 till 1994, he also taught photography at the Mass Media Department of the Panteio University at La Verne University in Kifissia – Athens, at the Focus school and Leica Academy, and at the Moraitis and Athens College private high schools. He has organised a series of television programmes on photography for the state TV channels, and has curated more than 200 group exhibitions and one-man shows of Greek and international photographers. He has also exhibited his photographs in one-man exhibitions as well as in group exhibitions, edited more than 70 photography publications and written essays in numerous photography books. He is a regular contributor to a number of Greek newspapers and magazines. In 1988, he co-founded the Photography Circle association and Photochoros Publications.